Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://repositorio.unifesp.br/handle/11600/38132
Title: Thoracic textilomas: CT findings
Authors: Machado, Dianne Melo
Zanetti, Glaucia
Araujo Neto, Cesar Augusto
Nobre, Luiz Felipe
Meirelles, Gustavo de Souza Portes [UNIFESP]
Silva, Jorge Luiz Pereira e
Guimaraes, Marcos Duarte [UNIFESP]
Escuissato, Dante Luiz
Souza, Arthur Soares
Hochhegger, Bruno
Marchiori, Edson
Universidade Federal Fluminense (UFF)
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ)
Fac Med Petropolis
Universidade Federal da Bahia (UFBA)
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (UFSC)
Grp Fleury
Universidade Federal de São Paulo (UNIFESP)
AC Camargo Canc Ctr
Hosp Heliopolis
Univ Fed Parana
Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
Univ Fed Ciencias Saude Porto Alegre
Keywords: Foreign-body reaction
Tomography
spiral computed
Thoracic surgery
Issue Date: 1-Sep-2014
Publisher: Soc Brasileira Pneumologia Tisiologia
Citation: Jornal Brasileiro de Pneumologia. Brasilia Df: Soc Brasileira Pneumologia Tisiologia, v. 40, n. 5, p. 535-542, 2014.
Abstract: Objective: the aim of this study was to analyze chest CT scans of patients with thoracic textiloma. Methods: This was a retrospective study of 16 patients (11 men and 5 women) with surgically confirmed thoracic textiloma. the chest CT scans of those patients were evaluated by two independent observers, and discordant results were resolved by consensus. Results: the majority (62.5%) of the textilomas were caused by previous heart surgery. the most common symptoms were chest pain (in 68.75%) and cough (in 56.25%). in all cases, the main tomographic finding was a mass with regular contours and borders that were well-defined or partially defined. Half of the textilomas occurred in the right hemithorax and half occurred in the left. the majority (56.25%) were located in the lower third of the lung. the diameter of the mass was <= 10 cm in 10 cases (62.5%) and > 10 cm in the remaining 6 cases (37.5%). Most (81.25%) of the textilomas were heterogeneous in density, with signs of calcification, gas, radiopaque marker, or sponge-like material. Peripheral expansion of the mass was observed in 12 (92.3%) of the 13 patients in whom a contrast agent was used. Intraoperatively, pleural involvement was observed in 14 cases (87.5%) and pericardial involvement was observed in 2 (12.5%). Conclusions: It is important to recognize the main tomographic aspects of thoracic textilomas in order to include this possibility in the differential diagnosis of chest pain and cough in patients with a history of heart or thoracic surgery, thus promoting the early identification and treatment of this postoperative complication.
URI: http://repositorio.unifesp.br/handle/11600/38132
ISSN: 1806-3713
Other Identifiers: http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1806-37132014000500010
Appears in Collections:Em verificação - Geral

Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.