The recurrent laryngeal nerve in relation to the inferior constrictor muscle of the pharynx

The recurrent laryngeal nerve in relation to the inferior constrictor muscle of the pharynx

Author Wafae, Nader Autor UNIFESP Google Scholar
Vieira, Magno Cesar Autor UNIFESP Google Scholar
Vorobieff, Antonina Autor UNIFESP Google Scholar
Institution Universidade Federal de São Paulo (UNIFESP)
Abstract The point of penetration of the recurrent laryngeal nerve into the larynx is recognized as the most frequent site of injury to the nerve during surgical procedures of the thyroid gland. The anatomical relationships of 25 right and left recurrent laryngeal nerves in 25 anatomical blocks from formalin-fixed human corpses have been studied.In 34 cases (68%), the recurrent laryngeal nerve penetrated into the larynx below the lower fibers of the inferior constrictor muscle of the pharynx (type 1 of penetration). In the remaining 16 cases (32%), the nerve crossed through those muscle fibers to penetrate into the larynx (type 2 of penetration).The thyroid gland was found to involve the recurrent laryngeal nerve at the penetration point into the larynx in 19 of 50 cases (38%).
Language English
Date 1991-10-01
Published in Laryngoscope. St Louis: Laryngoscope Co, v. 101, n. 10, p. 1091-1093, 1991.
ISSN 0023-852X (Sherpa/Romeo, impact factor)
Publisher Laryngoscope Co
Extent 1091-1093
Origin http://dx.doi.org/10.1288/00005537-199110000-00011
Access rights Closed access
Type Article
Web of Science ID WOS:A1991GU81400011
URI http://repositorio.unifesp.br/11600/44841

Show full item record




File

File Size Format View

There are no files associated with this item.

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Search


Browse

Statistics

My Account