Drugs in the Brazilian print media: An exploratory survey of newspaper and magazine stories in the year 2000

Drugs in the Brazilian print media: An exploratory survey of newspaper and magazine stories in the year 2000

Autor Noto, Ana Regina Google Scholar
Pinsky, Ilana Google Scholar
De Carvalho Mastroianni, Fabio Google Scholar
Instituição Universidade Federal de São Paulo (UNIFESP)
Resumo Print media is one of the key factors for defining public opinion and setting public policies regarding drugs. Therefore, surveying its content should provide us with a better understanding of the situation. the few existing surveys on this issue in Brazil point out discrepancies between print media and public health. the objective of the present survey is to enhance the analysis of drug-related stories in the Brazilian print media, based on a new time frame, in the year 2000. Major newspapers and magazines of all Brazilian state capitals have been surveyed throughout year 2000, with 4,669 stories presenting drugs as their main topic. A random sample of 964 stories underwent content analysis. Approximately half the stories (49.6%) dealt with smuggling- and repression-related issues. the remainder of the stories (50.4%) approached health, legislation, and public policy issues. Tobacco was the most widely discussed drug, with stories focusing mainly on damage caused by use and on measures for reducing consumption rates among the population. Articles about cocaine, also featured frequently in the print media, dealt mainly with the issues of drug dealing and of damage caused by cocaine use. Regarding marijuana, in addition to the law enforcement repressive approach, some articles dealt with decriminalization and therapeutic use. Articles about alcoholic beverages, featured less frequently in the print media, approached the subject matter from various angles. the number of stories on solvents and psychotropic medication was negligible. the results confirm discrepancies between print media coverage and epidemiology. They also indicate that each drug is approached differently, allowing for a better understanding of the social climate in Brazil regarding each drug. of all possible social interventions for dealing with the issue repression stands out, whereas stories about treatment and damage reduction are relatively scarce. These findings suggest the need for improved communication between journalists and health professionals.
Palavra-chave drug consumption
media
media advocacy
psychotropic drugs
social climate
substance abuse
Idioma Inglês
Data de publicação 2006-01-01
Publicado em Substance Use & Misuse. Philadelphia: Taylor & Francis Inc, v. 41, n. 9, p. 1263-1276, 2006.
ISSN 1082-6084 (Sherpa/Romeo, fator de impacto)
Publicador Taylor & Francis Inc
Extensão 1263-1276
Fonte http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10826080600754868
Direito de acesso Acesso restrito
Tipo Artigo
Web of Science WOS:000239452400005
Endereço permanente http://repositorio.unifesp.br/handle/11600/28661

Exibir registro completo




Arquivo

Arquivo Tamanho Formato Visualização

Não existem arquivos associados a este item.

Este item está nas seguintes coleções

Buscar


Navegar

Minha conta