Repercussions of extensive small bowel resections in growing rats

Repercussions of extensive small bowel resections in growing rats

Autor Lanzoni, N. Google Scholar
Martins, Jose Luiz Autor UNIFESP Google Scholar
Montero, EFS Google Scholar
Patricio, FRS Google Scholar
Juliano, Y. Google Scholar
Instituição Universidade Federal de São Paulo (UNIFESP)
Resumo Objective. To study the effects of extensive intestinal resection on growing rats, with regard to animal weight and histomorphometry of the remaining small intestine.Methods. Forty growing rats were allocated according to the extent of small intestine resection: 60%, 70%, 80%, or 90%. the animals were weighed every week and observed for 30 days. Following sacrifice the remaining small intestine was resected, fixed in 10% formol for 24 hours, embedded in paraffin, and stained using hematoxylin and eosin. the histological changes in the remaining small intestine were assessed for the length and thickness of villi, the thickness of the muscle layer, and the number of intestinal glands.Results. All growing rats showed a fall in body weight, although it was more significant with the largest intestinal resection (80% and 90%). Villus length and muscle thickness increased after 30 postoperative days in all rats, but the number of intestinal glands remained unaltered.Conclusion. Growing rats with greatest resection of small intestine (80% and 90%) had better intestinal adaptation and slower recovery of body weight.
Idioma Inglês
Data 2004-05-01
Publicado em Transplantation Proceedings. New York: Elsevier B.V., v. 36, n. 4, p. 1009-1011, 2004.
ISSN 0041-1345 (Sherpa/Romeo, fator de impacto)
Editor Elsevier B.V.
Extensão 1009-1011
Direito de acesso Acesso restrito
Tipo Artigo
Web of Science WOS:000222063800076

Mostrar registro completo

Arquivos deste item

Arquivos Tamanho Formato Visualização

Não existem arquivos associados a este item.

Este item aparece na(s) seguinte(s) coleção(s)