Transvaginal ultrasonography and the progestogen challenge test in postmenopausal endometrial evaluation

Transvaginal ultrasonography and the progestogen challenge test in postmenopausal endometrial evaluation

Autor Bortoletto, CCR Google Scholar
Baracat, E. C. Google Scholar
Goncalves, Wagner Jose Autor UNIFESP Google Scholar
Lima, G. R. Google Scholar
Stavale, J. N. Google Scholar
Instituição Universidade Federal de São Paulo (UNIFESP)
Resumo Objective: To analyze the morphologic and ultrasonographic aspects of the endometrium of postmenopausal women according to the progestogen challenge test. Methods: the study was conducted on 150 postmenopausal women. Each patient was submitted to transvaginal ultrasonography for measurement of endometrial echo thickness and to endometrial biopsies, followed by the progestogen challenge test. Results: Women with a negative test presented atrophic endometrium in 94% of cases. the other 6% have shown active endometrium, but none had hyperplasia. However, 56% of the patients with a positive test had atrophic endometrium. There was a correlation between endometrial thickness less than 5 mm and endometrial atrophy in patients with either positive or negative tests. Conclusion: Because the progestogen challenge test is cheap and easy to deal with, it can be done as a primary screening method in asymptomatic postmenopausal women. If the test is positive, ultrasonography is required in order to determine who needs a more accurate examination of the endometrium. If the test is negative, ultrasonography is not required due to the great number of women who have atrophic endometrium. (C) 1997 International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
Palavra-chave endometrium
ultrasonography
menopause
progesterone
Idioma Inglês
Data de publicação 1997-09-01
Publicado em International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics. Clare: Elsevier Sci Ireland Ltd, v. 58, n. 3, p. 293-298, 1997.
ISSN 0020-7292 (Sherpa/Romeo, fator de impacto)
Publicador Elsevier B.V.
Extensão 293-298
Fonte http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7292(97)00111-2
Direito de acesso Acesso restrito
Tipo Artigo
Web of Science WOS:A1997XQ94800005
Endereço permanente http://repositorio.unifesp.br/handle/11600/25782

Exibir registro completo




Arquivo

Arquivo Tamanho Formato Visualização

Não existem arquivos associados a este item.

Este item está nas seguintes coleções

Buscar


Navegar

Minha conta